Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Disappointing Teochew Nite

2 complimentary tickets belonged to a local amatuer troupe were pinned onto the notice board on Saturday. I wanted to watch as some excerpts are taken from Huangmei, Peking and Yueju operas.

Went to KH to return the steamer which I borrowed to "iron" my gown. Had a chat with my leader and then went to Kreta Ayer Theatre to view the Teochew show.

Out of the 4 shows, I only watched 2. Left after the 2nd show.

- The introductory session by the troupe's Top Management was far too long. They just rattled and rattled on and there was exchanges of tokens and appreciation on stage. In addition, the gong was clashed a few times...by different people. They repeatedly appealed to audience to "forgive" the actors if they did not performed well enough. I'm not sure about this...Perhaps is some kind of formal talk but it sounded odd to my ears.

(I was getting impatient and bored......It is okie to have such a presentation BUT please try not to make it too lengthy.)

- The first excerpt was [Lv Dong Bin San Xi Bai Mu Dan]

I am very familiar with this excerpt because KH debuted this show in the early 90s. I am not being prejudiced but I prefer KH's version. KH's version is more lively. The actors in the Teochew's version did not sing well. I was fidgeting in my seat the actor who acted Lv did not gesture well. His movements remind me of a deflated balloon though he did try his best in the show. The one acting as his pageboy was perhaps the best of the 3.

- The 2nd excerpt was "Bi Zhi Fu Shi" - Forcing the nephew to Imperial Exams

I have seen this excerpt done by Qian Huili and Zhang Lin. I know it is unfair to compare them to the teochew actresses but still I need to comment on one area.

Again, the singing wasn't very good in this excerpt as well. But this was beside the point as I do not expect any good singing from this actress as it has always been her weak area. But one thing that I never expect or maybe I have overlooked in her other previous shows was that the way she projected her sheng's movements.

I simply can't stand a sissy sheng...It makes me want to yell out loud! I just hate "Ah Gua Sheng". I don't know why...just that it sends chills up and down my spine.

The costumes are in okie range but the dans' hairdos are too traditional. I am not against traditional stuff...Just that the designs and the hair pieces used ...OUTDATED and UNINTERESTING-LOOKING on stage.

My friend wanted to leave and so I left with her. I can't blame her for not staying long enough though I know that the next actress will sing well in the 3rd excerpt.

In addition...I started to crave for Char Kway Teow. I simply must eat abit to "calm" me down.

I think I have placed too high a hope in the Teochew show...*sighz*

No comments: